I wanted to write and update you on the latest figures from our exam results. The figures released earlier this month are some of the best the school has ever had, and is testament to the hard work of our young people, the staff and the continual support we receive for you, the parents and carers of our learners. These figures relate to those young people who left at the end of last year, whether in S4, S5 or S6.
As you know, each school is unique. Within Perth and Kinross, St John’s RC Academy has the greatest socio-economic mix of all the secondary schools in the area, with significant numbers of young people living in the most deprived areas. We are very proud of this diversity, but this makes it difficult to compare our school with those elsewhere within the local authority, as this is like comparing apples with oranges. Scottish Government provides schools with the ‘Insight’ tool to help us compare the achievements of individual children in our school with similar pupils in 10 other schools, so we can compare apples with apples. This is called the Virtual Comparator. Against almost all the key measures, the pupils in St John’s RC Academy have outperformed the Virtual Comparator.
These measures include:
- Leavers attaining more success in literacy and numeracy at National 4 and National 5 than the virtual comparators
- Better complementary tariff points for the lowest, middle and highest achieving groups of pupils than the virtual comparators
- Better attainment than our virtual comparators for those living in both the most and least deprived households
- Our highest ever figure for positive destinations – 98.18%, which is better than the Perth and Kinross and National averages (see graphic)
- 61% of our leavers achieving at least 5 National 5 awards (8% higher than our virtual comparators)
- 62% achieving at least 1 Higher (6% higher than our virtual comparators)
- 43% achieving 3 Highers (4% higher than our virtual comparators)
- 30% achieving 5 Highers (4% higher than our virtual comparators)
- 22% achieving at least 1 Advanced Higher (6% higher than our virtual comparators)
As a school community, we are very proud of the achievements of our leavers. Their achievements are often hard won and these should always be recognised and celebrated. It is very important to me that you have confidence in the school you entrust your child to, and I hope this update gives you a fuller picture of the real successes of our school and the young people who are at the heart of our achievements.
As always, thank you for your ongoing support.
With every good wish,
Seán P Hagney
Headteacher and Campus Leader