22 April 2016 – Focus on Nursery and Primary
Dear Parents and Carers
The last term of the year has begun and already our learners are hard at work. The summer term is always a time of frenzied activity, and this year is no different! Our P7s in particular will be following a comprehensive transition programme as they get ready to move up to S1, whether in St John’s Academy or elsewhere. There will also be opportunities for our nursery children to familiarise themselves more with the primary school as they prepare to move up, and we also have those in the senior school who will be leaving us to go into positive destinations in the world of work or education.
- Congratulations again to all those who organised and starred in our P7 show! The performances were fantastic and I know parents and families really enjoyed seeing the performances. Thanks for coming along and supporting – this is always really appreciated.
- Our nursery inspection was very positive. You can get more information on this here.
- Welcome back assemblies took place this week. Please encourage your child to bring in wider achievements so they can be shared and celebrated during our assemblies.
- P7 transition is in full swing with the primary 7 pupils receiving visits from our guidance teachers – Mrs Sinclair and Mrs Ward. Lots more planned for later in the term.
- P4-6 pupils attended the Art of Music at Perth Concert Hall. All children had an excellent day and were singing their hearts out. Special thanks to the parent helpers who came along to support this event.
- We are currently in the early stages of fundraising to improve our own primary playground and a playground in the grounds of the Recuparare Clinic in Bucharest. Mrs May, former Headteacher, recently enjoyed a big birthday and asked her guests to donate to this. She has given us£1000 for the Romanian playground fund. We are very grateful to receive this. You’ll hear more about this fundraising (and how you can help) over the coming year!
- Parent Council Meeting will take place on Monday 25 April at 7.00pm in our Conference Room. All parents are invited to attend.
- P3 pupils will visit St John the Baptist Church for their class mass on Tuesday 26 April.
- We welcome visitors from Portugal on Wednesday who will spend the day learning about Scottish Education and some of the excellent work taking place in St John’s RC Academy.
- P6 – S2 pupils will be visiting the world of work on Thursday as part of Take your Child to Work.
- Learning Trees will be sent out next week to share targets from across the curriculum. Please encourage to share and discuss their learning at home.
- Week beginning 3 May will be our Health and Wellbeing week. P1 & P2 sports days will take place on Wednesday, P3 & P4 on Thursday and P5, P6 & P7 on Friday.
- On Thursday 6 May we will celebrate mass as a full school for the Feast of the Ascension. Parent helpers will be required to walk to mass. Please contact the school office if you are able to help with this.
- If you’ve not had a chance to look at last term’s newsletter, click here. There’s lots of great stories and pictures. I also have a special message to parents/carers in my introduction, asking for your support in a number of important areas. Please have a look!
Every good wish,
Seán P Hagney
Headteacher and Campus Leader