4 December 2015 – Focus on Secondary
Advent is underway, and our preparations for the Christmas season have been keeping us very busy across the whole school. Within the secondary, work for senior pupils is intensifying as we approach the formal assessment opportunities for National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher courses in January, but S6 are somehow managing to find the time to get involved in lots of SCIAF fundraising!
In this blog, I look back at the past fortnight and ahead to Christmas.
- ParentPay went live on Monday 30th November. The system allows parents to pay for school meals, trips, and other costs online. Letters were issued to parents last week providing login information and we hope that this will be a convenient way for you to pay for school related expenses. Already, many of our parents have taken advantage of the on-line system to pay for school meals and trips.
- Secondary school photographs for S1, S4 and S6 pupils took place last week. The orders have now been sent away with a guaranteed delivery date before Christmas (that’ll be gran’s present sorted!)
- Our S5 pupils attended the annual Safe Drive Stay Alive presentation at Bells Sport Centre last Wednesday. It was an emotional day for all who attended, hearing first-hand accounts from young people and their families about the impact that driving recklessly can have on them and others. If you haven’t had a chat with your S5 child about this experience yet, then please take the time to do this. No one could fail to be moved by the presentation.
- The first of our course choice assemblies took place on Friday 27th November for our current S3 pupils. We are gathering information from them about which subjects they would like to choose when they move into S4 next year. This data will help us to formulate the course choice options for the full exercise which takes place in March 2016.
- Full S2 Reports were issued to parents today. Tracking reports for S1, S3, S5 and S6 have also been issued this week. S4 reports will be issued on 14th December.
- Hong Kong Exchange: St John’s took part in the first Hong Kong-Scotland Education Connection exchange along with Perth Grammar and Morrison’s Academy. Pupils and staff from schools in Hong Kong stayed in our homes and experienced authentic Scottish life! The Hong Kong children were delighted by the hospitality they were shown and had a wonderful time here. We hope to build on these links, with Mrs McAuley and seven of our pupils travelling to Hong Kong in 2016. Many thanks to Mrs Downie, our International Education Coordinator, for helping to make this happen.
- For St Andrew’s Day, we’ve been celebrating the Scots language all week – there’s been even more banter and haverin’ in the Street than ever before!
We have a host of fund raising activities taking place in the run up to Christmas. A bake sale, an X-box challenge and “Miss St John’s” have already raised a serious amount of cash for SCIAF. Pupils should check the daily bulletin for events taking place over the next fortnight.
- 7 December: We’re looking forward to Bishop Stephen Robson will be visiting the school.
- 8 December: S5/6 Parents’ Evening: You can book your appointments on-line here
- 10 December: It’s the school Christmas lunch followed by the annual Christmas Quiz in the Assembly Hall.
- 14 December: S4 Reports issued to parents.
- 16 December: The Secondary Christmas Show takes place in the Assembly Hall starting at 7pm
- 18 December: The Christmas Service takes place at 11.30am with the school closing at 12 noon.
Finally, as I said last week, can I make an appeal to keep your records up-to-date with the school office, including your mobile phone number and email address? This information is really important as we endeavour to improve our communications with parents and carers. Thanks to those who do this already.
With every good wish,
Seán P Hagney
Headteacher and Campus Leader